Note: This class is currently FULL. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, please call Customer Service at 800-367-9327.
This lively and intensive course is designed as an introduction to the basic techniques of weaving: winding a warp, dressing the loom and weaving a finished piece. Also included will be an exploration of the basic woven structures – plain weave and twills in their many variations, designing and drafting a project and calculating yarn requirements. You will also learn about looms and equipment, yarns, and finishing techniques. Looms are provided. This is a great experience for beginners as well as weavers who would like a refresher! Note: There is no loom deposit for this class. Use of a loom is included in tuition.
Skill Level: Beginner
Instructor: Carol Birtwistle
Date: Saturday and Sunday, 4/27, 4/28, 5/4, 5/5
Time: 9am - 5pm
- Approximately $30 worth of materials will be purchased with the guidance of the instructor.
- Two 2-inch diameter notebook rings (available at stationary stores)
- Five grocery bags: the brown paper kind, with the bottoms cut out, or a roll of brown Kraft wrapping paper
- Paper or cloth measuring tape
- 3 ring binder (for 8½ x 11 paper)
- Graph paper (6 or 8 squares to the inch)
- Pencils with erasers
- A pair of long heavy duty shoelaces (used are fine)
- 6 rubber bands
- Straight pins with a large round head
- Large tapestry needle
- A chair cushion is optional