New Knitting Patterns
Hooked for Life Highclere Shrug PDF
Inspired by the popularity of BBC programs like Downton Abbey and The Forsyte Saga, the Highclere Shrug adds a romantic touch to any outfit. Knit in fingering/sock weight yarn, the body is worked in one piece, bottom-up, to the armholes, then split into fronts and back. The body of the shrug, as well as each sleeve, is finished with a neat row of single crochet, then a luxurious lace ruffle is picked up and knit in the round, and completed with a delicate picot bind off.
This pattern is available as a PDF download.
Finished Sizes: Small (36”), Medium (40.25”), Large (44.5”), XLarge (48.75”), 2X (53”)
Materials: 1200 (1400, 1550, 1700, 1855) yds fingering weight yarn (CYCA 1, Superfine). Model shown used 3 (4, 4, 5, 5,) skeins Holiday Yarns Flock Sock (100 g/400yds; 75% merino/ 25% polyamide) in the Aphrodite.
- Circular knitting needles 40” or longer in sizes 4/3.5mm, 6 (4.0mm) and 8 (5.0mm)
- Circular knitting needles 12” or 16” OR dpns in sizes 4 (3.5mm), 6 (4.0mm) and 8 (5.0mm)
- Crochet hook size B/1/2.25mm for edging
Gauge: 1 completed medallion in lace stitch is approximately 1.5" tall; 2 medallions is approximately 4.25" wide, using size 4/3.5mm needles, after blocking
- This pattern does NOT have line by line instructions for all shaping! I know for some of you that’s a plus and for some a minus! The body of the shrug is a bottom-up 4-row repeat that is written out, the fronts, backs and sleeves have “increase/decrease this many times this frequently while maintaining lace pattern as established” instructions. It has been tech edited and tested.
- I have used a row of single crochet around the body of the shrug to make the edge look especially neat when the lace ruffle flips back at the collar, and to keep the knitted body of the work from stretching out where the ruffle begins. If you cannot bear the thought of crocheting you can skip this step, but the neck edge will not look as pretty if you simply pick up and knit around the neck opening.
- Mary Beth Temple
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!