Three-Color Pillbox Style Hat
This hat features a modified version of the classic pillbox styling and is flattering on most anyone! Using only three colors, you'll create a simple and pleasing example of Fair Isle stranded colorwork. The optional decorative detail of knots may be knitted in, or added later. Participants will follow easy charts for almost-straight sides, and a quickly-tapered crown. This class will review basic stranding techniques, tips for minimizing the "jog" at color changes, working from charts, and knitting in the round. DK weight yarns help to keep the finished product light weight and flexible, yet still quite warm.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Instructor: Beth Altimari
Fridays; 7/20, 8/3, 8/10; 10:30am-12:30pm
Required Text: Cabin Fever Pattern #122 - Wellington Hat
- 3 colors of DK weight yarn: Main color - approx. 110 yards (may be variegated), Contrast color #1 - approx. 55 yards, Contrast color #2 - approx. 55 yards
- Needles: 16" circular needle size US 6, or size needed to obtain gauge of 22sts/4 inches over the pattern (see homework)
- DPNs in the same needle size
- One DPN or circular in any length, in a smaller needle size than used for gauge.
- Cabin Fever Pattern #122 - Wellington Hat
- Sample is knit in Valley Yarns Northfield
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
Choose colors for your project. Using colored pencils to try various color schemes on paper is a good idea.
- Knit a gauge swatch in the round, on DPNs, using the following pattern:
CO 32 sts, Join in the round, and work 4 rounds in stockinette stitch in the Main Color (MC).
Round 5: *Work 2 sts in MC, 2sts in Contrast Color #1 (CC1), repeat from * around, carrying resting color loosely on back of work.
Round 6: Repeat round 5.
Round 7: Repeat round 5
Round 8: Repeat round 5
Rounds 9 - 12: Work 4 rounds of MC only. Measure your gauge. If gauge does not measure 22 sts/ 4 inches, change needle size and knit rounds 5-12 until gauge is correct.
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!