- Knitting & Crochet
- Weaving & Spinning
- Books, Patterns & Kits
Classes & Events
Note: This class is currently FULL. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, please call Customer Service at 800-367-9327.
If you are ready to take the next step in finessing your finishing techniques, then forge on to pockets, zippers, steeks, facings and edging options! We’ll experiment with these techniques using two sampler pillows and small steps towards design choices will be offered. Be prepared for homework between classes - your hard work will be rewarded when you apply these techniques to your future knitted garments for a professional-looking finish!!
Prerequisite: This class is open only to those who have completed First Pullover and Fearless Finishing.
Instructor: Diane Fernald
Dates: Tuesdays 5/21, 5/28, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25
• 3 skeins of Valley Yarns Northampton in a light colored yarn (white, beige, etc); this will be main color for pillows and swatches.
(Light colored yarn is a MUST; you will need to be able to see and “read” your knitting in order to master some of these techniques.)
• 1 – 2 skeins of contrasting yarn in same weight; stash yarn can be used for this.
(Dark colors such as navy, brown, dark purple, green, or red – this level of contrast will assist in achieving good results while you learn.)
Needles: (You can use either circular or straight needles; it is strictly a matter of preference.)
• 1 set # US 7 or US 8; or whatever size gives you gauge for main knitting
• 1 set in US 5 or US 6 (2 sizes smaller than needle you will use for main knitting)
• A third needle in US 5 or US 6 for tubular cast off.
• DPNs in sizes (both large and small) used above
• DPNs in US3 or US4
• Darning /seaming needles
• Sewing thread in highly contrasting color
• A Zipper (length will be discussed in class)
• Your Knitter’s Tool kit
• Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters. Deborah Newton (15% discount)
• Cast On and Bind Off. Leslie Ann Bestor (15% discount)
Optional but Recommended:
• Big Book of Knitting. Katarina Buss
• The Principles of Knitting. June Hemmons Hyatt
• Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques, Nancie M. Wiseman
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
Knit a Gauge swatch: (gauge should measure 4.5 to 5 st /1”)
Cast on 50 stitches.
Row 1. K to end of row. (right side)
Row 2. K first 5 st, P to last 5 st. K last 5 st (wrong side)
Repeat these two rows of SS, keeping first and last 5 sts in garter st; measure gauge at about 2 inches to be sure you are getting gauge.
Knit in SS until piece measures 8 inches.
Knit a Pocket Lining:
Using main color and larger needle size, CO 14 stitches.
SS for 12 rows, beginning with a K row.
Place sts on a holder or leave on spare double point needle.
Do NOT bind off.
For more information about our tuition, fees, and refund policies, please click here.