Design a Small Aran Sweater
Note: This class is currently Full. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, please call Customer Service at 800-367-9327.
If you enjoy knitting with cables or pattern stitches, or you've always admired the lush beauty of Aran (or fisherman knit) sweaters, then this is a course for you! As you knit a baby-sized sweater, you'll learn how to put together a pleasing combination of cable, twisted and pattern stitches to create a unique Aran design all your own. We'll also look at the various design features of Aran sweaters, including saddle shoulders, ribbings, and other finishing touches that will help to make your sweater unique. Your finished project will surely inspire you to continue on to design and knit your very own unique Aran sweater that you'll wear proudly for years!
Prerequisite: Participants must be familiar with knitting cables and textured stitches as well as knitting sweaters in pieces.
Skill Level: Advanced
Instructor: Diane Fernald
Date and Time: Tuesdays, 10/16, 10/23, 11/6, 11/20 and 12/4; 6pm - 8pm. Please note: First class will run 6pm -9pm
- Aran Sweater Design, by Janet Szabo (15% discount)
- 4 skeins of Valley Yarns Northampton. Please choose a light-colored yarn as it will best show off the stitches and cable patterning and will allow for “reading” your stitches. (The class project will be a child-sized sweater)
- Knitting needles to attain gauge
- At least a dozen stitch markers in various colors
- 2-3 row counters
- Pad of graph paper
- Pencil and a good eraser
- Your Knitting Tool Kit
Stitch dictionaries of your choosing, with cables and twisted stitches.
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
- Read Chapters 1 – 4 of Aran Sweater Design, by Janet Szabo
- Knit a 4” x 4” stockinette gauge swatch. Begin with US size 8 needles to test the gauge, going up or down as needed to get 5 stitches to the inch.
- Start thinking about the cable and stitch patterns you like and how you want them to go together. Be prepared to start sketching out how you want your sweater to look. Understand that the overall design concept is most likely to change, and be willing to be flexible!
- Pick out 4 – 8 simple cable and/or twisted stitch patterns that you like in a stitch dictionary and bring that stitch dictionary to class.
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!