Argyle Socks with Anne Berk
In this class you will learn basic construction of hand-knitting argyle socks, flat. We will cover the Intarsia technique, adding strands, strand management, weaving in ends. How to follow a chart, work heel and gusset flat, and join with argyle gusset to knit foot in the round. We will also talk about yarn and color selection. There is a lot of information to cover – ability to multi-task and a sense of humor are helpful!
Skill Level: Advanced
Date & Time: Saturday, April 17, 10:00am - 5:00pm
• Yarn: Stash of smooth sock yarns in solid colors with as much contrast between colors as possible and of equal weight. It is easier to see the joins and the development of the pattern if there is a big contrast of color at the join. So, choose a light color to be next to a dark color, etc. Suggested yarns: Valley Yarns Huntington, Shibui Sock, JaWoll, Sox Appeal Solid, Simply Sock Yarn Solid.
• Needles: Dpns, straights and/or circular needles in sizes 1, 2 and 3. You will be knitting both flat and circularly.
• Your knitting tool kit, including highlighter tape for following charts
• A cushion for your chair
• PLEASE BRING YOUR LUNCH.
Piece #1: Ribbed Border
Using yarn that you have chosen as your MC for your argyle practice sock, cast on 34 sts. Work K1, p1 ribbing for about 1".
This piece will only be used to demonstrate the unique construction when knitting a sock flat. There will be no argyle pattern in this piece. Therefore, if you find it easier to use larger yarn and needles, feel free to choose that option for this knitting. You will just end up with a larger practice sock.
Ribbed Border: Cast on 34 sts. Work in K1, p1 ribbing for about 1".
Sock Body: Knit in stockinette for 30 rows. Row 30 (RS): Place the first 9 sts on a holder. Knit the center 16 sts (instep), and place the last 9 sts on another holder. Continue to work the center instep sts in stockinette for 15 rows. Place the center sts on a holder. (45 total rows) Note: The best st holders are lengths of cotton yarn.
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!