Note: This class is currently FULL. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, please call Customer Service at 800-367-9327.
If you have knitted a sweater or two, but still don’t feel in control of the finishing process, this class is for you. Working on a mini-sweater and swatches, you will review basic invisible seaming and then move on to seaming ribbing, garter stitch, and seed stitch. You will learn to pick up stitches flawlessly and to alter stair-stepped shoulder directions to short rows using the 3-needle bind-off. You will learn to make and space buttonholes. Come join us and conquer those finishing phobias!
Prerequisite: Knitting II, or equivalent
Instructor: Erin Holman
Date: Mondays, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 4/1
Time: 6 - 8pm
• Seven Things that can “Make or Break” a Sweater by Margaret E. Fisher (15% discount)
• 2 skeins Cascade 220 Superwash OR 5 balls Valley Yarns Valley Superwash
• Size US 7 needles (or size needed to obtain gauge of 4.5 sts and 6 rows = 1”)
• Double pointed needles size US 7 (or size needed to obtain gauge listed above)
• Size US 5 needles
• Size US 5 circular needle, 24” length
• Buttons to be chosen with instructor’s guidance
• Your knitting tool kit
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
Before the first class, please knit the ribbing for your sweater back and fronts. (We will be using the smooth side of the long-tail cast-on as the right side of our class sweater.)
- For back, with smaller needles, CO 45.
- First row (WS), work P2, then K1 P1 rib, ending with K1, P2.
- Next row (RS), work K2, then P1, then K1 P1 rib, ending with P1, K2.
- Work as above for one inch, ending after a wrong side row. Either leave stitches on your knitting needle or place on a holder/waste yarn.
- For right and left fronts, with smaller needles, CO 19.
- First row, work P1, then K1, P1 rib, ending with P1.
- Next row, work K1 P1 rib, ending with K1, for one inch, ending after a wrong side row. (Note that this is different from the directions in the required book.)