Textured Twined Knitted Socks with Beth Brown-Reinsel
Students will learn the Swedish technique of tvåändsstickning, or twined knitting, by knitting a small sock, using worsted weight yarn. Twined knitting is worked with two yarns of the same color, twined around each other, and creates a warmer, denser fabric than conventional stranded knitting. The sock is worked circularly on double pointed needles and includes many techniques: three twined knitting cast-ons, reading and working from a chart, the "O" stitch, Chain Path, a traditional motif for the leg, shaping the toe, and working an unusual method for an afterthought heel.
Prerequisite: Participants must be comfortable with double pointed needles or working with two circulars or Magic Loop. Ability to knit English style is strongly suggested.
Instructor: Beth Brown-Reinsel
Date and Time: Saturday, 11/17; 10am - 4:30pm
Yarn- No single ply yarns!
- 2-3 oz light colored worsted weight yarn (must be wound as a center-pull ball).
- Yarns suggested are Valley Yarns Northampton or Cascade 220
- About 1 oz. of the same weight of yarn as the sock yarn above, of a contrasting color for accent (red was traditional, but whatever you like is fine).
- One set of 7" long (approximately) double pointed needles, size 6 (4mm)
- A crochet hook, size D or E
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch markers
- Waste yarn for holding stitches
- Magnetic board or sticky notes for keeping one's place on the chart.
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
Wind your yarn into a center-pull ball if it isn't already. Find both ends before class.
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!