Create the captivating effect of entrelac while learning the basics of this surprising technique. Made in the round, in one piece, this straightforward bag is worked in tiers of triangles and rectangles, creating a unique color pattern all around. The rectangular base gives this bag its versatile and practical shape. Class will include machine and hand felting instructions.
Please note: Felting will be done by participants at home.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Instructor: Beth Altimari
Date: Wednesdays 3/20, 3/27, 4/10, 4/17
Time: 10:30am - 12:30pm
- 500 total yards of worsted weight yarn, in 5 different colors. Yarn must be either 100% wool, or a wool/mohair blend for successful felting. (The project uses approximately 170 yards of the main color, and 80 yards of each of the other 4 colors.) See note below about suggested yarns.
- One 24 inch circular size US 8 or 9, or appropriate needles to give you a gauge of about 18 sts /4 inches in stockinette stitch.
- 2 double pointed needles in the same size as the circular needle
- 4 large-holed metal grommets with an opening of approximately 3/4 inch. Please purchase AFTER discussing at first class meeting.
Suggested Yarns: Lambs Pride, Lopi Lite, Noro Kureyon, Valley Yarns Northampton, Valley Yarns Amherst, Cascade 220.
Yarns must be either 100% wool, or a wool/mohair blend for successful felting. Avoid pale colors as they tend not to felt well. A word of caution: using many small amounts of assorted brands of leftover yarns will likely produce uneven felting.
Prior to the first class, please complete the following:
- Please check your gauge on a FLAT gauge swatch by casting on 24 stitches and working back and forth in stockinette stitch. Stitches should not be tight, but should be close to 18 sts/4 inches, or 9 sts/2 inches.
- Once your gauge and needle size are correct, using the circular needle, cast on 144 sts. This will be the top edge of the bag.
- Place a marker on the needle, and join in the round. Knit each round for 1 ½ inches.
- Bring this work to class with your other supplies.