Stick Chick Knits
Stick Chick Knits Manohara PDF
Have you ever wanted to spread your wings and fly away? Manohara is a half-bird/half-woman heroine of Buddhist and Hindu lore who flies away from danger. With the Manohara shawls, knitting can become your escape from the daily grind. With options to make this shawl your own—sock weight or lace weight, one color or two, garter stitch or lace—nothing will hold you down!
This pattern is available as a PDF download only.
In one or two colors, as desired (see Pattern Notes).
Single-color Shawl (shown in green): Malabrigo Sock Yarn [100% Merino; 440yds/402m per 100 g]; color #37 Lettuce, 1 skein
Two-color Shawl (shown in blue): Malabrigo Lace Yarn [100% Merino; 470yds/430m per 50 g]; 1 skein each color
Color A: #137 Emerald Blue
Color B: #98 Tuareg
Straight or 32-inch circular needle; piece is worked back
Lace Weight Shawl: US 6 (4.0 mm)
Fingering Weight Shawl: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Lace Weight Shawl:
Wing Span: 52in/132cm Depth: 26in/66cm
Fingering Weight Shawl:
Wing Span: 40in/51cm Depth: 20in/102cm
Gauge stated for Stockinette stitch, blocked. Adjust needle size
as needed to obtain gauge (see Pattern Notes).
Lace Weight Shawl: 24 sts per 4in/10cm
Fingering Weight Shawl: 22 sts per 4in/10cm
• Gauge is given after blocking; the recommended yarns “grew”
in the blocking process.
• Gauge is not crucial to this design, as it is not a fitted piece, but
it will affect both yarn usage and final dimensions of the shawl.
• Any weight of yarn may be substituted, though it will impact
the size of the final project.
• The single-color shawl may be worked with one or two skeins.
With two skeins, simply continue working the Arcs until the end of the pattern.
The green shawl shown was worked with 1 skein.
• If two colors are used, designate one as Color A and the other as Color B
to follow pattern as written. Color A is used for the lace sections and Color B
for the garter-stitch sections.
• This design is very versatile. Each Arc is a multiple of 12 rows, so sections
of lace or garter can be placed as desired.
• To make a neat line at the neck, a circular cast-on can be used or the starting
tail can be drawn through any other type of cast-on row and cinched tight.
- Melissa Goodale
- 20% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $60 or more!
- 25% Off
- On highlighted items totaling $120 or more!