Advanced Fearless Finishing*
Advanced Fearless Finishing will make sure you are ready to take the next step in finessing your finishing techniques, enabling you to forge on to pockets, zippers, steeks, facings and edging options. We'll experiment by making samplers to learn techniques and design choices you can use in designing pieces and finishing your work. Be prepared for homework between classes - your hard work will be rewarded when you apply these techniques to your future knitted garments for a professional-looking finish. In order to take this class, you will need the following skills as well as the prerequisite classes: Picking up stitches (horizontal, vertical, and at an angle), knitting in the round on circular and double-pointed needles with one and two colors, experience with the following crochet stitches: slip stitch and single crochet, hand sewing on knitted and fabric projects including mattress stitch and whip stitch on knits, picking up dropped stitches with a crochet hook, and sewing in ends on knitted projects. There is one required text (Cast On, Bind Off by Leslie Ann Bestor, 15% discount), and several recommended texts for this class. Please check the website or call Customer Service to make sure you purchase the correct books. Note: You will make your first project BEFORE your first class. Check homework and materials lists carefully.
Prerequisite: Fearless Finishing and Cast On, Bind Off
Skill Level: Advanced
Instructor: Cyndi Shepard
Date: Sundays, 11/10, 11/17, 11/24, 12/8
- Yarn: 2 skeins of Valley Yarns Northamptonin a light color (white, beige, yellow, pale pink, etc.); this will be main color (MC) for projects and swatches.
- 1 skein of contrasting color (CC) yarn in same weight; stash yarn can be used for this. Avoid very dark colors as they are hard to “read.”
- Small amount (few yards) of sock weight yarn in MC for steeks
- Knit and Crochet Tool Kit
- Needles: Double pointed knitting needles: US 6 (must be 8”)
- Small amount (few yards) sock weight cotton yarn for provisional CO.
- Circular knitting needles: Two US 7 (16 inch length is fine)
- Optional: US 7 14” straight needles
- You may use either straight or circular needles for the pieces that are worked back and forth but you will need circulars for parts of each project.
- Notions: Darning /seaming needles
- Scissors (sharp pointed will work for steeking as well as general cutting)
- Crochet hook size E or F
- Stitch markers
- Sewing thread in color to coordinate with steek project yarn color.
- 7” separating zipper and Knit Picker are made available to students and the fee can be paid to the instructor (usually $15).
- Required: Cast On, Bind Off by Leslie Ann Bestor (15% discount)
- Suggested: Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hyatt
- Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters by Deborah Newton
- Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman
- Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmermann
- Big Book of Knitting by Katarina Buss (out of print, but a treasure if you find it)
- Make Project 1 from PDF HERE.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Click here for complete Registration Information.
If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer
Service with that person's name and information.