Fair Isle Tam*
This class is currently full. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-367-9327 to be put on the wait list.
*This class fulfills the Traditional Folk Knitting Requirement for WEKP.
The history of Fair Isle knitting goes back at least to the early 1800's, originating in the Scottish Shetland Islands. The technique of colorful stranded knitting, never with more than two colors in a row, resulted in incredibly intricate patterns that are now copied the world over. Fair Isle knitting has a practical side, as well; the garments knit with this stranded technique are sturdy, warm, and light. Fair Isle Tam will teach knitters the basics of this traditional art, focusing on color selection and progression, the art of stranding floats, two-handed knitting, and the history of Fair Isle patterning. If you like a little culture with your knitting, or have always wanted to learn this beautiful knitting method, join us! You will be knitting in double-pointed needles at a small gauge, so you must be proficient with DPNs. You should also know the M1L and M1R increase and K2tog and SSK. Required text: Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting by Alice Starmore (15% discount). You will be provided with a kit with all the yarn colors you'll need wound into small balls, with the cost included in the price of your class.
Prerequisite: You must be proficient on double pointed needles. You
must also know how to M1R and M1L to increase, and the K2tog and SSK decreases.
Skill Level: Advanced
Instructor: Erin Holman
Date: Wednesdays, 1/15, 1/29, 2/12
- Required text: Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting (15% discount)
- One of the 8-color kits; there are two colorways from which to choose. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you sign up for class to indicate your choice of colorway. Please scroll through the images to see the two color options, New England and Stormy Sky
- Needles: US sizes 2 and 3 16" circular needles or size to get the pattern gauge of 8 stitches/inch
- US sizes 2 and 3 double pointed needles or size needed to get the pattern gauge of 8 stitches/inch
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
- Knit and Crochet Tool Kit
- Please read "A Brief History" in Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting, pages 2-30.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Click here for complete Registration Information.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer Service with that person's name and information.