Indigo Dyeing with the Kangaroo Dyer
In this class, you'll delight in the magic of the Indigo Vat. Each student will create an Indigo Vat from start to finish. The beautiful blue Indigo color looks stunning on natural fiber cloth, such as cotton and linen. Gail will instruct students in the multiple folding technique called Shibori, which is the Japanese word for ways of shaping cloth and securing it before dyeing. We'll use different methods to get a variety of patterns from the cloth. Students will dye cotton cloth, which allows for mastery of the Shibori technique. Your dyed cloth can be used for napkins, pillow covers, coverlets, tablecloths...or whatever your creativity allows. Please note that there is a materials fee of $20 payable to the instructor for dyes and cloth.
Skill Level: All
Instructor: Gail Callahan
Date: Sunday, 8/16/2020
- $20 materials fee payable to instructor.
- Please wear old clothes/apron and gloves for dyeing
- Note taking materials
- Bucket for soaking cloth during class
- Roll of paper towels
- Instructor will provide elastics, string, marbles, Ping-Pong balls, clothespins and other types of items to use to make resists. If you have any interesting textures or tools to use, please bring along.
- Feel free to bring along anything you‘d like to put in the vat at the end of the day. At my first class, I dipped a white cotton shirt, and it came out of the vat beautifully. Old napkins or dishtowels can be revived by a dip in the Indigo Vat
- Plant based yarns are also welcome
- Depending on the pace of the class, protein yarns may also be dyed. Contact instructor about this
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Click here for complete Registration Information.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer Service with that person's name and information.