Mittens and Socks from Measurements*
In this class, you will complete a pair of mittens and a pair of socks to your own measurements, out of any yarn and at your own gauge, using a tried and true formula. By the end of the class you will be able to make mittens and socks for everyone you know and be sure they will fit. Please note: This class is designed for knitters who are already comfortable using double-pointed needles, and is not designed for circular needles. (Patterns must be bought by students and will receive a 15% discount when purchased for this class: Nancy Lindberg's Fittin' Mittens and Nancy Lindberg's Knit-To-Fit Socks
*This class fulfills the Mittens and Socks From Measurements requirement for WEKP
Skill Level: Intermediate
Instructor: Beth Altimari
Date: Tuesdays, 6/13, 6/20, 6/27, 7/11, 7/18, 7/25; 2017
- Nancy Lindberg Fittin' Mittens pattern
- For Mittens choose one of the following:
- 200-300 yds of worsted weight yarn OR 160-250 yds heavy worsted or bulky yarn.
- One set of DPNs one or two sizes smaller than suggested on your ball band, if you'd like a tighter ribbing.
- Stitch markers
- Smooth, heavy cotton scrap yarn to use as a stitch holder
- Measuring tape
- Nancy Lindberg Knit-To-Fit Socks pattern
- For Socks choose a DK or worsted weight yarn. It is advisable to choose a worsted-weight yarn so that you will see the techniques more easily as you knit. Please purchase the amount of yarn that matches your foot size:
- Women; DK 350 yards, Worsted 300 yards
- Men; DK 400 yards, Worsted 300 yards
- Several sets of DPNs. Bring several sizes of needles with you that are in the range of the needle size recommended on the yarn label. For a denser sock you may want to use a needle sized smaller than recommended on the yarn label.
- Your Knitter's Tool Kit
Three stockinette stitch swatches, knit flat (not in the round). These are NOT for gauge.
- Using some worsted weight scrap yarn (not your project yarn), cast on 18 stitches,
- knit flat in st st for 3 inches.
- Do not cast off.
- Leave all three swatches on needles or stitch holders.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call customer service with that person's name and information.