Beginning Design: Design Your Own Cowl*
This class is currently full. To be placed on the waiting list, please call Customer Service at 800-367-9327.
Learn how to use gauge, stitch pattern repeats, and desired measurements to design your own knitted cowl. We will play with design concepts such as charting a written stitch pattern and converting a flat stitch pattern to working in the round. Participants will choose an inspiring stitch pattern and take it from paper to a wearable accessory.
This class is for the adventurous knitter! Please be comfortable with knitting in the round and reading knitting patterns.
*This class fulfills the Design Exploration requirement for WEKP
Prerequisite: Knitting II, or equivalent
Instructor: Katie Carr
Date: Sundays, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20, 12/4; 2016
- Circular needles in a variety of sizes and lengths. Shorter lengths are needed for cowls with shorter circumferences, longer lengths for longer circumferences.
- A Treasury of Knitting Patterns, Volume 1 by Barbara Walker (required text, 15% discount when purchased for this class)
- Graph paper
- Yarn purchased at WEBS—exact yardage depends on size of cowl, gauge and stitch pattern, but 200g of sock weight to 350g of bulky weight should be sufficient for most cowls plus swatching. Yarn may be purchased during class with the instructor's input.
- Stitch markers
- Your Knitter's Tool Kit
- Look through the stitch patterns from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns in Chapters 2 and 3.
- Choose a few that you might be interested in using for your cowl, but do not begin knitting.
- If you have already purchased yarn for your cowl, consider how that yarn will work up in the stitch patterns you've selected.
- If you haven't bought your yarn, you may get the instructor's input at the first class.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please put the name of the other person in the Special Instruction box that’s located on the shipping page.