Felted Hats, 3 Brim Styles
These hats are easy to work up and quick to felt. Using big circular needles and double strands of worsted weight yarn, they'll be ready to wear before the snow flies. Brim choices include rolled brim, wider flat brim, and a gentle bell brim. Students will learn basic shaping, using increases and decreases in the round, knitted felting techniques, and circular knitting. This is a good class for new knitters to try circular needles and expand their skills. A great cool-weather carry-along project. NOTE: Felting will be done by students at home.
Skill Level: Beginner
Instructor: Beth Altimari
Date: Wednesdays, 11/30, 12/7, 12/14; 2016
- Fiber Trends Pattern AC1
- 200–250 yds each of two worsted weight yarns. Two strands are held together throughout. Purchase only wool, alpaca, or mohair, no yarns listed as "superwash". Note: Whites and other pale colors often do not felt well.
- US 11 dpns (or needle size needed to obtain a gauge of 3 sts = 1", with yarn held doubled)
- US 11 circular needles, 24” (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Stitch markers
- Zippered pillowcase for felting
- Ball or bowl for shaping hat while wet (optional)
- Your Knitter's Tool Kit
Prior to class, please complete the following:
- Using US #11 double-pointed needles, cast on 24 stitches and join for working in the round.
- Knit in stockinette stitch for 3 inches,
- Remove dpns and measure gauge.
- Change needles if necessary to obtain gauge listed in the pattern.
- If you would prefer to swatch flat, you can create an "I-cord style" swatch using 18 stitches.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please put the name of the other person in the Special Instruction box that’s located on the shipping page.