Knitting II, section 2*
This class is currently full. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-367-9327 to be put on the wait list.
*This class fulfills the Knitting II Requirement for WEKP.
Knitting II is both an introduction to and a thorough study of knitting in the round on fixed circular needles as well as double pointed needles. Knitting circularly helps to form sweater sleeves (and sometimes whole sweaters!), hats, mittens, socks, and so much more. The class will focus on the process of working stitch patterns in the round, helping knitters achieve comfort and confidence by making a cowl, fingerless mitts, and a hat from measurements. Students will also learn how to shape fabric by making increases and decreases, learn to fix mistakes, and discuss pattern instructions to foster a better understanding of what they're actually telling the knitter. There will be a brief review of the basics of knit and purl stitches, cast-on and bind-off, and gauge. If you've completed Knitting I, or are a self-taught knitter who wants to fine-tune your skills to be able to move on to more advanced techniques and projects, Knitting II will move you forward. Required text: The Knitting Answer Book 2nd edition, by Margaret Radcliffe (15% discount).
I or equivalent
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Instructor: Ruth Manna
Date: Thursdays, 4/2, 4/16, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14
- Students will be making a cowl that requires 440 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch, a pair of fingerless mitts that require 110 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch, and a hat that requires 250 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch.
- Please bring about 50-75 yards of scrap yarn to use on a practice swatch. It should be the same gauge as your cowl yarn.
- For the Cowl: US size 7 needles or size to get your gauge of 5 sts/inch in 24" circulars.
- For the Mitts and Hat: A set of 5 non-metal DPN's, US size 7 or size to get your gauge of 5 sts/inch. We recommend using Knitter's Pride Dreamz 6” Double Pointed Needles. (16" circular needles for the hat will be purchased at a later time).
- You'll also need size 7 needles for swatching and skills practice in class, which can be circular or straight.
- Required text: The Knitting Answer Book, 2nd edition by Margaret Radcliffe (15% discount)
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer Service with that person's name and information.