Knitting II*, section 2
*This class fulfills the Knitting II Requirement for WEKP.
Have you completed Knitting I? Are you a self-taught knitter who wants to fine-tune your knitting skills so you can move on to more advanced techniques and projects? Are you returning to knitting after a hiatus of a year or more? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, then Knitting II is for you. In this class we will briefly review the basics of knit and purl, and cast-on and bind-off. We will concentrate on knitting in the round on both circular and double-pointed needles. Students will learn to shape fabric with increases and decreases, and gauge, as always, takes center stage. Required text: The Knitter's Companion, by Vicki Square (15% discount)
Prerequisite: Knitting I, or equivalent
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Instructor: Beth Altimari
Date: Thursdays, 7/25, 8/1, 8/8, 8/15, 8/22, 8/29
- Students will be making a cowl that requires 440 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch, a pair of fingerless mitts that require 110 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch, and a hat that requires 250 yards of a worsted weight yarn that gets a gauge of 5 sts/inch. We suggest Valley Yarns Northampton for all projects to avoid buying many different yarns.
- Please bring about 50-75 yards of scrap yarn to use on a practice swatch. It should be the same gauge as your cowl yarn.
- For the Cowl: US size 7 needles or size to get your gauge of 5 sts/inch in 24" circulars.
- For the Mitts and Hat: A set of 5 non-metal DPN's, US size 7 or size to get your gauge of 5 sts/inch. We recommend using Knitter's Pride Dreamz Double Pointed Needles 6". (16" circular needles for the hat will be purchased at a later time)
- You'll also need size 7 needles for swatching and skills practice in class, which can be circular or straight.
- stitch markers
- Susan Bates Knit Chek
- Tapestry or yarn needle
- Knit and Crochet Tool Kit
- The Knitter's Companion by Vicki Square (required text, 15% discount when purchased for this class)
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer Service with that person's name and information.