Sweater Construction* section 1
*This class fulfills the Sweater Construction Requirement for WEKP.
This is Section One. See Section Two HERE. Choose only one section.
If you want to have more control over the sweaters you knit, or want to launch yourself into design, this class is an essential first step. After taking Sweater Construction, you will only need needles, yarn, and measurements to build a custom-fitted sweater. The goal of the class is to lay a solid foundation, so the focus will be on understanding and executing basic sweater construction principles. You will generate a set-in sleeve pullover with a round or V-neck, in bottom-up pieces to your desired fit. Skills covered include interpreting and drawing pattern schematics, plotting design elements, charting structural elements, designing to measurements, and estimating yardage. This class is open only to those who have completed First Sweater and Fearless Finishing. Required text: Knitwear Design Workshop by Shirley Paden.
Sweater, Fearless Finishing
Skill Level: Advanced
Instructor: Erin Holman
Date: Mondays, 10/14, 10/28, 11/11, 11/25
- A sweater's worth of yarn. See store staff if you need help with yardage estimation. Yarn should be basic; for this class avoid overly textured or overly dark yarns.
- Knit and Crochet Tool Kit
- Knitwear Design Workshop by Shirley Paden (required text, 15% discount)
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Bring a sweater(s), either hand-knit or commercial, of a weight similar to the yarn you'll be using in this class, that exhibits your desired fit.
- Further materials may be required as the course progresses. This will be decided with the instructor’s guidance.
- Prior to the first class, knit and block a swatch at least 6" x 6" in the yarn, needle size and stitch pattern you hope to use for your sweater, measuring and recording gauge before and after blocking.
- Read chapters 1-3 of Knitwear Design Workshop.
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Click here for complete Registration Information.
If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer
Service with that person's name and information.