Indigo Dyeing with the Kangaroo Dyer
This class is currently full. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-367-9327 to be put on the wait list.
In this class, you'll delight in the magic of the Indigo Vat. Each student will create an Indigo Vat from start to finish. The beautiful blue Indigo color looks stunning on natural fiber cloth, such as cotton and linen. Gail will instruct students in the multiple folding technique called Shibori, which is the Japanese word for ways of shaping cloth and securing it before dyeing. We'll use different methods to get a variety of patterns from the cloth. Students will dye cotton cloth, which allows for mastery of the Shibori technique. Your dyed cloth can be used for napkins, pillow covers, coverlets, tablecloths...or whatever your creativity allows. Please note that there is a materials fee of $20 payable to the instructor for dyes and cloth.
Skill Level: All
Instructor: Gail Callahan
Date: Wednesday, 2/5/2020
- Please bring old clothes/aprons, and gloves for dyeing
- A bucket for wet cloth transport home
- Rags and/or a roll of paper towels
- Strong string
- Note-taking materials
- Needle and thread
- Elastic bands
- If you want your own Vat to take home, bring a 4.5 gal bucket, like one for sheetrock mud, and a lid to transport your Vat. Look in recycling bins around town, which is where I find many of these. The Vat needs to have a small surface area exposed to air, and needs to be deep enough to hold the vat.
- Look around your house for any of these items to form resists: Small bag of marbles, Ping Pong balls, Popsicle sticks, Clothes pins with springs, Flat pieces of wood no larger than a playing card
- PLEASE NOTE: There is a $20 materials fee, payable to the instructor
When possible, please buy your materials from WEBS.
Click here for complete Registration Information.
Note: If you are purchasing more than one unit of the same class, please call Customer Service with that person's name and information.